Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Most Beautifull Heart

Once upon a time there was a young man who had the most beautiful heart anyone had ever seen. He bragged about it almost daily, in market, in the square, in the town hall almost every where he went.

One day while he was bragging on how beautiful, perfect and whole his heart was, there came an old man. He called out to the youth and said: "Who says your heart is more beautiful? Mine is ten times more beautiful than yours!" The crowd around the youth turned around and looked at the old man. He held out his heart for all to see. His heart was full of scars and was uneven. There were places where the pieces didn't seem to even fit his heart. It looked very ugly thought the young man. So in a haughty voice he said: " Your heard is full of holes and open crevices, its uneven in places and it is so scared and you call that a more beautiful heart than mine? You've got to be joking old man!" The crowd murmured in agreement.

The old man undauntedly replied: " My heart is full of uneven and open spaces because I've given my heart to others. The pieces which do not fit are from others who have in return given me theirs after receiving mine. All those empty spaces are because sometimes when I give a piece of my heart away, those people don't necessary return my love. Loving someone involves risks. But i keep my heart open so if in the future they return my love, there will always be a place for their hearts."

Having said that, the crowd turned into a thoughtful silence. The youth without a word tore a piece of his heart and placed it in one of the holes in the old man's heart. The old man in return placed a piece of his in the hole of the young man's heart. And from that day onwards, they were the best of friends and they continued to spread the word of how beautiful their heart was.



This is wonderful story I read in the last few days. I've taken and edited it based on what I can remember from the original story.

0 comments: